Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Question: How to check to see if a user is still accessing a MSSQL database?

We run MSSQL servers for most of our databases. Occasionally, we need to reboot these servers. I can check to see if anyone has anything open on the windows side (open file shares), but, when trying to discern if anyone is actively using the SQL database, I cannot tell.

I open Enterprise manager, expand out to "Management" and I see "Current Activity". There I have:
  1. Process Info
  2. Locks / Process ID
  3. Locks / Object
1) Process Info
  • I have alot of PID's with status of "sleeping", Some are "background", and some are "runnable"
2) Locks / Process ID
  • I have a listing of spid's
3) Locks / Objects
  • I see a listing of databases
  • Each database list's a PID with lock type and mode
My question: What am I looking for!? I just want to make sure everyone is out so I can reboot. Can anyone clarify this for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment